The Nassau County Patrolmen's Benevolent Association was formed on the morning of July 18th, 1928 by a group of forty-nine (49) members of the Nassau County Police Department. Meeting in the Alpha Fire Department Hall in Roosevelt, the fledgling organization had the immediate assistance of the Presidents of the New York City PBA, NY State Police Conference and the New Jersey PBA.
Since 1928 the PBA has fought for its members and led the battle to secure Binding Arbitration for all police contracts.
The first action taken by the Nassau County Police Department, then led by former NYPD Lt. Abram Skidmore, appeared to be somewhat adversarial. Lt. Skidmore suspended the entire newly formed PBA Board asking them to surrender their guns and shields.
In 1988 the name of the PBA changed to its current name, the Nassau County Police Benevolent Association. Twenty-four (24) different Police Officers have served in the office of President of the Association through the years. Their service was not without personal sacrifice. These individuals have all contributed greatly to the achievements of the PBA through their dedication to the men and women they represent.